Farmers who hold abstraction licences are required to record the amount of water they abstract and submit the information to the Environment Agency.
Records of abstraction are generally referred to as ‘returns’. Your return can be, for example, water meter readings or actual volumes abstracted. Depending on their licence conditions and the quantity of water that they are allowed to abstract, most farmers will need to keep weekly or monthly records of the actual amount of water they take and submit annual returns.
If you have any enquiries regarding your water abstraction licence or returns, please contact the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm) or email (